Monday, February 20, 2012

Another "Rung" in the ladder

On the way to a successful painting career there are many ups and downs. I like to say that "Today's mountain peak is tomorrow's foothill climb." Just as you acheive one milestone there are endless challenges ahead.

This month I was approached by Art of the West magazine about doing a feature for the May/June 2012 issue. This will be a great honor and much appreciated exposure. Art of the West

I've been so focused on just painting these past years I haven't worked the marketing side of the career much. Articles like this will surely help find an audience for the work.

My primary effort during this economic down turn has been to bring the best art I can to market and then let the work do the talking for me. It has been the one thing that I've had control over. I believe that quality art will sell, even in a tight market. It seems that strategy is starting to pay off.

Notwithstanding, there can still be endless second guessing in this profession. Have I choosen strong subjects? Will there be an audience out there when these paintings are completed. Will anyone notice what I'm trying to say? Will I be able to communicate the emotion in the works that I'm feeling as I paint them?

You can't think about these things while you work. Just let the brush run. Make honest and trueful marks on canvas each day. Put your heart and soul into every brush stroke and leave the rest to the viewer.

And then look up...for that next mountain peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment